Monday, November 21, 2011

I am still in Central Islip

Well my dear friends and family how are you?  Life is good here in the good old Suffolk County New York.  I've decided the mission ages you. When I entered New York everyone told me I was way too young. They thought I was 18 or 19 and couldn't believe I was 21.  Now I'm 22 and people think I'm 25 at the youngest.  Usually they tell me I look 27 or 28!  Come on people!  I even had this old lady tell me a couple of transfers ago that I looked 30!!!!! I told her no, I was older so then she guessed 40!!! people come on this is not happening! Her 30 year old daughter was embarrassed for her mom and then kindly told her, "no ma she is only 22!" It was super funny but seriously the Avon lady just sold me some anti-aging cream like last week.  I need it.  I don't know what it is because honestly I have not gained any weight.  I weigh the same amount that I did in college about this time of year 2 years ago. But it much be stress, wrinkles, no bangs, longer hair,  or something. I have no idea. We'll just say it's because I"ve matured spiritually and it shows on the outside? bahahbaha, i don't know.  All I know is that it needs to stop. I don't want to get home and have people think my parents are my kids.  THat will be the day... not going to happen. Although I'm prretty sure they could do a triathalon easier than I could right now.

This week was good. Last week of transfers so naturally we got transfer calls Saturday.  Looks like president listened to my request and he is going to leave me here with sister gray for another transfer.  Sister Gray is a halariious and a little ball of energy always going. Sister Nay is staying but Sister Nelson will be leaving to Brooklyn.  She is going to Dyker to take over the missionary that sister Harry just trained.  Sister Harry is one of my companions from Flushing if you remember me talking about her.  I'll miss good sister Nelson.  She is the best! I'm pretty sure Hermana Simplicio is coming to take her place which should be good.  Hermana Simplicio is from Brazil so because portuguese is so close to Spanish she picked up spanish really easy.  She is really awesome.  I"m excited for the next transfer.  We should be moving pads too in the next couple of weeks.  The majano's just built a brand new apartment for us sisters on the side of the house so I'm excited to move in at some point.  Hopefully we will move in before december.  We will have to see.  Change is always exciting.

Yesterday was the primary program.  i was a little nervous for it but it turned out well. It really came together in the end. The little kids are so funny and just crack me up.  They sang so well and I was so happy to be a part of it.  It brightened up my day because the majority of our investigators that seemed to be doing so well backed out last minute and couldn't come to church.  W and R decided to work and so that was a bummer deal for everyone.  But do you want to hear what is so cute?  W and R have 3 kids.  A, A, and R. R and A are 5 and 6 and the two cutest little girls you could ever imagine.  Everytime we come over they always run to the door excitedly and shout " the hermanas are here! the hermanas are here" and greet us at the door with a big hug.  W says that the girls ask her everyday when the next time church is.  A is so sensitive to the spirit and is really close with her mom.  They have visited lots of churches in the past and she tells her mom exactly how she feels.  W told us that one time they went to a church where they were singing and "speaking in tongues" and A just looked at her mom and said mom, what are we doing here? this is crazy!"  So the fact that her kids really like our church really means a lot to W.  (it's because it's the true one ) :).  Anyway so we get a call from A the 13 year old boy and he asks us if we can find them a ride to church. His parents had gone to work last minute and him and his sister wanted to come to church.  He said his sisters really wanted to be a part of the program like they've been practicing for.  We were so tickled pink.  Of course we found them a ride and A and R did great in the program!  I was so happy!  This A kid is such a stud!  I want an older brother like him! So they came to church and it was really good.

THe program really pulled together nicely in the end.  The kids sang great and they were so excited to be on the stand.  I thought they behaved better than a lot of their teachers in the primary. Many of the members came up afterwards and told me how much they enjoyed the program.  The Lee family are some of my favorite members in the ward and Hermano lee is in the bishopbric.  he came up afterwards and told sister gray and I how much he enjoyed the program.  then he went on to say and ask if we remember being in the primary ourselves as kids.  WE told him yes. Honestly I don't remember much of the primary.  Just singing time and some of my favorite teachers that taught me and the way that they made me feel.  He then just said.  Exacto and looked at me with that look of,  think about how much influence you have made  on those kids and that they may not remember a lot of what they learn in primary but they will remember you and the spirit that taught them that these things were good for their life.  How true it is.  The Primary president gave a really great testimony at the end of the program about what a privilege it is to be parents of the the future generation of the church.  She talked about how the in the primary we teach correct principles and try to teach the scripture stories, however it is in the home that the children learn the gospel and it is through the parents efforts that the gospel is instilled in their souls.  It is a parents responsibility to nuture and help the testimony of their children bloom into a knowledge that will last them through the eternities.  It was really beautiful and I really liked it a lot. 

Sister gray and I went to the second class with A after sacrament.  It was also good.  Bishop taught the youth about our divine plan and timing that god has in all things.  He started it off with parents and their children.  There was a young woman in the crowd that made a comment I really liked.  She said, My father has always told me that I am an image of my parents.  I remember through my childhood always having that in the back of my head and sometimes when things would come up I would ask myself what my dad would do in the situation and I would act accordingly.  I knew that I was to act at least to the level that they were living.".

To take that a step further.  Yes that is so true.  We are images of our parents.  We can only expect our children to live to a level that we are willing to live.  As children we should have the mind set that we will accomplish what our parents have and one step more to create a more united and eternal family. I can't tell you how many times I see a mother be annoyed or disappointed with a behavior of her son or daughter and then 2 minutes later turn around and do the exact same thing on a whole new level that fits their lifestyle. mmmm... read 3 nephi 13.   mmmm... wonder who they learned it from... yeah. To work towards the great plan of happiness that god has prepared for us.  Our parents work to give us every opportunity.  Every parent deep down wants the best for their child, as human being we still have mistakes and sometimes don't have the capacity to everything we aspire but the thoughts are the desire to lead to actions, The actions of our lives eventually become our lifestyle. So on and so forth. The church provides a lot of structure for a family unit. Because god is god of coarse it is founded on principles that work, that give lasting results, and in the end people want to know what makes members of the church different.  They can see it as well as feel it. It's amazing.  the church is true, the book is blue, I love you, and hope you all have a wonderful week. 

Mom, thanks for the wonderful letters.  I received a postcard from Japan, I loved it. Thank you1

Hermana Lewis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers